Saturday 30 July 2011

Kunsthalle Flea Market Adventure

Yesterday was the big day that I've been looking forward to for a month now - our first flea market attempt. I must say, I'm over the moon at how well it turned out! For those of you joining me from my other blog, I won't rehash the general aspects again, and for those of you joining me from the flea market, Welcome!, and I won't tell you all about the flea market either because, well, you were there! Instead, I'll just make some observations.

Going into the flea market, I had some pre-conceived ideas about what would be the popular items based on feedback from my Korean friends (since most of the patrons of the market are, of course, Korean.) I thought we'd sell one or two of the aprons & the handbags, and I thought I'd certainly sell the pair of girl's shorts and the "Be the Reds" top (ok...that idea didn't come from feedback but rather because that is my favorite!) In reality? None of those items sold. Not one. Some people looked at the handbags but even after I discounted them, they just moved on. The aprons got a few glances but that's about it. I don't even know if I saw anyone looking at the shorts or the top.
So what were people interested in? Probably the most-looked at item were the baby booties and the bibs. Though they didn't all sell, they sure got a lot of ooohs and awwwws. And then there were the pillow case tops. I had two, and my partner also had made two similar tops similar in style - all sold. The shirred dress - gone. The skirts were quite popular as well. One thing that I found really interesting (and exciting from our future business standpoint!) was that many of the people gravitated towards the western-style items. Naturally mine were all western-style but my partner's were also more western than Korean. But she had added a few items from a friend of hers- some very Korean items- and they remained on the rack. I guess different is good!
So my partner and I are already planning our collection for the August flea market. You can be sure that there will be more pillow case tops in a bigger range of sizes, more skirts in new, fabulous fabrics, and more bibs and booties in various prints....and we may even pull out some new tricks! ;) So if you're in the area, I hope you'll come on down to the Kunsthalle flea market next month. We'll see you there!

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear you did well at the market. So interesting how you think one thing will be popular but in fact something totally different is^^

    ReplyDelete