Sunday 7 August 2011

Bubble Butt

I haven't had much time to update my blog lately - between summer vacation for the kids and trying to finish up the custom orders from the flea market I've been keeping pretty busy. Did I mention that I had custom orders?! Makes me feel so professional! ;) I've also been trying to decide exactly what to put in the August flea market. Because we're almost to September now, it seems silly to sell only summer items so I'm trying to think of more fall goods that I can make. One thing that popped into my mind immediately was a bubble skirt (i.e. a skirt without a crisp hemline which kind of "bubbles" out at the bottom).
I'd made one for Irene a couple years ago, but that was in the beginning of my sewing days and it was also a re-purposed project. I used an old knit tank top that I got from a thrift store and a pair of tights that Irene had already outgrown and, following this tutorial, I made my first bubble skirt. I loved it. It was bouncy, fun, cheap and cute...but the inside looked like a disaster zone.
I still see these types of skirts and dresses hanging on the racks in stores and Irene loves the bubble dress that her Aunt & Uncle sent her for her birthday this year, so I decided to try to figure it out. It turned out to be pretty simple once I really looked at what was involved (I mean for a skirt...a dress would be a whole 'nother story!) So I present the Fun & Flouncy Fall 2011 Bubble Skirt:

Apparently I have a thing for polka-dot bubble skirts. I'll have to switch it up next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment