Thursday 11 August 2011

Eastern Eclectic

Continuing on my quest to create the perfect sleeve, I used some of my new Japanese-y fabric that arrived last Sunday as inspiration. I love this fabric. I know, I know, I say that all the time...but I really mean it this time! I have a "thing" for Japanese prints and this almost looks (to me) like something you might see on a kimono.


Basically, I started out with the idea of making a simple shirt but then I got to the neck hole. Now, I'll be honest here - neck holes have caused me much grief in the past. Because the material isn't stretchy, I have to make it large enough to fit over her head - and I can't tell you how many times I've misjudged. So, determined not to screw this up and waste my beautiful new fabric, I opted for a button opening. Not wanting to do the boring ol' buttons down the back and inspired by the Asian prints, I added a sort of Chinese-style opening. The result? Cuteness:
As this was my first attempt, I decided that it wasn't good enough to sell at the flea market. (really, though, I'm being totally selfish and I just want to see Irene in it!) So I made second top but reversed the fabrics - same prints, different colors:


A close up of the collar made of the coordinating fabric. I'm now thinking that Irene may need one in red, too.

My little Korean girl in her Japanese-print Chinese inspired top...and her little dog too.

No comments:

Post a Comment