Wednesday 29 June 2011

Pillow Case Tops




One of the simplest dress ideas out there for little girls is a top called "The Pillow Case Dress." And, you know what? It's also one of the cutest and most practical! The name comes from the fact that one can easily make a simple dress for a toddler/small child by using a pillow case (or a scarf really). I originally got the idea from my sister-in-law (THANK YOU, Shannon!!) This was way back when Irene was just a toddler and I had never really sewn much, if anything, in the way of clothes before. I decided to give it a whirl and, while my first attempt's results were less than pleasing*, I was on my way.


For the past 2 summers, the pillow case dress/top has been a staple of Irene's wardrobe. In fact, because of the loose cut of this style top and the fact that Irene was a chubby toddler, many of the tops I made for her last year still fit this year. Of course this is great from an economical standpoint (and remember, one reason for me starting to sew in the first place was $$) but from a creative standpoint, it's a little disappointing. I was really looking forward to making a whole new wardrobe this year, but her drawers are busting as it is so I've got to be content with only a handful of new tops this year. Here are some of my more recent pillow case dresses/tops:









*I blame it on the fact that I'm not actually able to use pillow cases since Korean style is not suitable ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment