Wednesday 22 June 2011

Trains to Go


I probably shouldn't even include this little project on this site. It's not one of my proudest moments but it's so darn cute (in theory) I can't resist. As I mentioned in the last post, I really want to make more things for the boys since most of what i sew is cute dresses & tops for Irene. Of course I love my children equally, but it's just so much more fun & easy to make girls' clothes! So for Oscar's 3rd birthday a few months ago, I was determined to sew him something he'd love. I came across this great tutorial at another super-awesome sewing/crafting blog, Homemade by Jill, that I enjoy. The only thing that Oscar loves more than cars is trains, so I decided to mix it up a bit and go with a train/bus/car motif. Again, I had picked up this great fabric from our time in Japan (oh, to have been in Japan with my sewing machine! *sigh*)

It didn't come out as planned in that the pockets were either too small to fit the cars/trains or else they were too big and everything fell right out. I think if I had made one less pocket, made them deeper, and then added a row of thin elastic to the top of the pockets it would have worked much better. I would also make a much sturdier velcro strap to hold it closed. I don't know what I was thinking with that one. But, in the end it turned out to be a non- issue anyways because he took one look at it and threw it in the toy pile, never to be looked at again. Maybe in a year or two he'll get it back out and think it's the greatest thing ever. Or maybe not. But at least my conscience can rest a little easier knowing that, hey, I tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment