Monday 27 June 2011

Animalwearing Revolution

My daughter loves to play "umma" ('Mommy' in Korean). Not so much to her dolls though. No, my daughter has just one special little one: her puppy...aptly named "Puppy" (we're a creative bunch here...my son's best buddy is a sheep named "Sheep") Because they saw me carry their younger brother around in my carrier everywhere we went for the first 10 months of his life, naturally carrying their "babies" was something they wanted to do. Irene was content using our discarded Baby Bjorn when Johan outgrew it, her apron, Oscar's overalls...pretty much anything that would hold that puppy to her chest, but I had another idea.
My first attempt at making an animal carrier for my kids was a semi-success. I wanted it to be simple enough that they could get in and out by themselves. I ended up with this cut-off apron style seen above. It had one strap that just went around the neck and another that could be tied behind the back (naturally I'd have to tie it but once tied it could easily be slipped on and off.) While Oscar's carriers seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, Irene's animal carrier has gotten considerable use in the past few months, but it's limitations were quickly made obvious - it doesn't work so well as a back carrier. (think noose around the neck!) So, I've finally gotten around to revising my design and created the following:

I presented it to Irene yesterday afternoon and she was thrilled. It now fits more like a backpack with an adjustable hip strap held together by velcro and two shoulder straps. I had to add the chest strap because the actual square of material was quite wide due to the awkward shape of her "baby"and as a result I was worried that the straps wouldn't stay on her shoulders. All in all, I'm quite satisfied with the carrier. She loves it, I love the material (cute little stuffed elephants), and it's got room to grow so hopefully it should last a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment