Friday 15 July 2011

My New Obsession


Pants!
I am currently obsessed with making pants. This is exciting because just a few years ago I was terrified of making pants. For some reason I had it in my head that pants were a "high level" sewing project. How wrong I was! My first few pairs were recycled projects - I used my old clothes to make the pants. By using a pair of the kids' current pants, I managed to make a pattern and make a couple of wearable pants for them. Nothing to brag about but they served the purpose. Above you can see Irene in her (toilet and in her) new sweats made from...my old sweats. I didn't add the stripe, in case you were impressed.
And here's Johan in a pair of T-shirt recycled sweats that I had made for Oscar when he was a baby. These were some of my proudest pants until now. So comfy and not too ugly!
Above is a pair of shorts that I made for 2-year-old Oscar from a pair of my old pants. Ugly. Uncomfortable. He never wore them. And of course there have been a number of pants involved with my pajama experimentation, but not until last week had I made a pair of pants I could be proud of. I present, the flat-front train engineer pant:

Ok, you're probably not impressed. I know. But I think it's a combination of the fact that I managed to make a pair of pants that aren't totally elastic-waisted (the front of the pants are flat, like big-people pants!), but I've also made them adjustable (the elastic in the back has button holes to adjust the size) and, most importantly, I love, Love, LOVE the seersucker stripes! This may be one of my favorite projects to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment