Monday 11 July 2011

The Goods

So much has happened for me on the sewing front in the past week! As I've mentioned before, I have a dream of opening my own small sewing business. Nothing fancy but I think we can all agree that it would be awesome to be able to create and get paid for it! But due to my own insecurities, I put that idea on the back burner...sort of. For the past few weeks I've been steadily making a collection of items to sell at the monthly flea market here in Gwangju. While a week ago my main goal at the flea market was to have someone buy something. Really - I'd have been thrilled. But now it's suddenly become so much more important.
It turns out that there is a program in Korea where the government will give a $4000 grant to individuals who they think have a good business plan/idea. So my husband has come up with a plan and I am now business partners with a Korean friend here who also sews! Should our proposal be accepted, we will receive the money to spend as we like (on business-related goods only of course...but seriously...$4000 to spend on fabrics and notions and even a better sewing machine!!! Heaven!) And we will also be eligible for an even bigger grant next year. As of now, I think we do have a good idea. The things I make are more western style which can be hard to find here for a decent price (a flimsy pillow case top at Baby Gap here would run you $60) Not to mention the fact that I'm willing to custom make an item (you choose the fabric, style & size!). My partner's style is naturally a little more Korean but she has a lot of the technique that I'm lacking as well as the insight into a Korean mother's point of view. One of the things that she suggested we focus on is the aprons, selling them to day cares and even expanding into adult-sized ones. We'll see what happens, but for now I really hope we sell more than one item at the market!

No comments:

Post a Comment