Tuesday 13 September 2011

Pantsed

Now that it's turning to Fall, I've turned my focus from making Flea Market goods to making a wardrobe for the kids. More accurately, "kid" because Oscar gets lots of great hand-me-downs from his cousin and Johan gets lots of great hand-me-downs from Oscar...so that leaves Irene, the oldest girl in the family, out in the cold. My goal for this year was to not buy any new clothing for her (except socks, a winter jacket... and maybe underwear but I'm actually toying with the idea of making those, too) super-cheap flea market goods are acceptable.
So I brought her to the fabric store last weekend and she picked out a beautiful wine-colored corduroy fabric (I love corduroy) and I chose the same in brown. I excitedly began making her some cords. It was during a cold spell, only after I was 1/2 way through with her second pair, that I decided to get their clothes out of storage. I was shocked to find that she has so many pairs of pants, from last year and from hand-me-downs from a friend which I had forgotten about, that they hardly fit in her drawers. Alas, between her pants (pictured along with her favorite home-sewn peasant blouse) and the pair of pants I made for Oscar, I'm already pretty much done with my winter sewing.

But, then again, when I see how happy they are when I show them the finished product - made just for them- and when I tell them to pick out their clothes for the day and they choose the clothes that I made over the store-bought stuff, it makes me want to keep on sewing. Maybe I'll have to make do with some pajamas or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment